Saturday, October 17, 2009

Jacaranda (thirty years ago today)

Jindalee Sunset 24/09/09

I once associated the bloom of jacaranda trees with the coming of exams for university students. On the onset of Spring, purple Jacaranda flowers appear on the normally leafy green trees and cover the lawns of the Great Court of the University of Queensland.

Jacaranda 18/10/09

But now I associate Jacaranda trees with the arrival of the Bui family in Australia by way of South Vietnam - thirty years ago, today. My parents every Spring speak of driving down Coronation Drive for the first time and marvelling at the purple that covered the trees along the riverbank.

Jacaranda 18/10/09

I often think about how different my life would be if my family did not arrive as refugees after the war. We're lucky to have carved out the life we have right now. It makes you want to make the most of what you have for all the risks that your family have taken for you to be here.

Jacaranda 18/10/09

All photos taken around the Bui family household.

No comments: