Saturday, November 22, 2008

Photo Meme

Manchester Orchestra

I've been instructed by Soph to pick out my sixth photo in my sixth folder of photos and talk about it. The folder turned out to be a bunch of photos from Laneway Festival held in Brisbane in early March 2008. This shot is of the lead singer of Manchester Orchestra - an American band that sound a bit like a heavier, early-years-Death Cab for Cutie. I was pretty impressed by them and picked up their album a few weeks later. The whole day was great - being able to see Feist, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Okkervil River and The Panics all within a few hours and in Brisbane, I'd never think it would happen.

Shooting photos at gigs is something that a while ago I thought would be a thing I would love doing. My opinion turned during that day when I saw photographers with big ole long lenses pushing their way to the front taking a few shots and leaving within minutes. They just seemed like they weren't there for the music at all. These days, if I do take photos at gigs I try to only take a few shots and put the camera away and don't let the photograph take away from my experience.

And to the thing I like most about this photo - he is totally rocking out in a pair of thongs.

2 comments:

soph said...

That's an awesome photo - you must have a big lense? I like that he's in thongs too lol!

Kim said...

Thank you! 50mm short, fixed lense. They played early on in the day so I got up close and snapped a few. Have a few from the rest of the day, but not as close. I dream of having a zoomy lense, I don't think I could bring myself to drop ridiculous amounts of cash on one though.